What a fun, unique couple! I had the best morning shooting with Zee, Isaac and their kitties. So much laughter and music (Isaac plays a ton of instruments), quirky design (they have a wall that is entirely cat art) and adorable cooking collaborations. I'm thankful for every chance I have to see true love and document the intimate lives of these couples.
After making a big change in the direction of my business, Kelsey + JoJo were one of the first couples I had the opportunity to photograph... and my gosh, did they rock it out!
Go ahead, you know you want to sing the rest of that song!
I got the opportunity to make a quick visit to Havana, Cuba recently. Though it was a short trip, it made a lasting impression. Cuba has, to most Americans, been an uncharted territory for decades, only opening up for us to explore in the last couple of years.
I feel like we take so much for granted. I think we all know we do at some level. But when you have the opportunity to see how others live, it comes to light. I don't mean just being impoverished; we see that in our country too. But it's at a different level there. Not only are people limited in their abilities to have success, provide for their families, follow their dreams, etc, but they truly don't know any differently. Being in a country that's essentially been closed off from the world for decades, it seems Cuba's people are almost blissfully unaware. I'm still trying to decide how I feel about that, to be honest. Knowing what I know, it feels unfair to me that they don't have the opportunities we have, but at the same time, the people I spoke with seem to have made the best of what they've been given... and that's kind of a beautiful thing.
Another thing I noticed was that everywhere I looked, people had photos of Che Guevara in their windows, doors (just as in the photo below), etc. They waved flags featuring his face. Guevara was a leader in the Cuban Revolution who gave his life for socialism. Also, it was hard not to notice the presence of the military heavily monitoring the streets.
Just look at those blue eyes, you guys, and tell me you don't want to eat her up!
My buddy, Josh, who you've undoubtedly seen on my website before, recently became an uncle... so naturally, we had to get some shots of this little button. Meet Jocelyn Nicole and her beautiful mama, Jessica!
We were so lucky to have such a beautiful location (the end of their driveway-- really!), golden light and the most well-behaved baby ever... got all these shots in less than twenty minutes!
I don't do a whole lot of family portraiture, but this session definitely made me rethink that!
Porter came too! All it took was a great fetching stick to get him to pose like a good boy! <3
I've been doing photography for over half of my life and specifically focusing on actors' headshots for the last four years or so. Naturally, I have some opinions, largely in part because I've seen too many actors spend their hard earned money on headshots that are below industry standards or don't represent them. Your headshot is your calling card. It is the MOST IMPORTANT piece of marketing material you can have as an actor, followed by your reel and resume. Take the extra month to save up to have drop dead amazing shots. It'll make a world of difference.
I ask you, WHAT DOES YOUR HEADSHOT SAY ABOUT YOU?
So, what makes a great headshot, you ask? Let me tell you...
1) It looks like you. You'd think that's an obvious statement, but apparently it's not. It's so, incredibly important to have a headshot that looks like you. I tell clients to do their own makeup, because after all, we don't all have makeup artists available to beautify us before each audition, am I right? Make sure you don't throw casting directors for a loop when you walk into their offices... look like your photo. Also, show some physical range-- change your hairdo, add/remove makeup during the shoot, throw on your glasses, etc. Discuss wardrobe with your photographer as well; it can make a huge difference in the outcome of your photos. A great photographer will have opinions and recommendations for you.
2) It FEELS like you. Are you quirky? Your headshot should say that. Are you intense? Make sure your headshot is too. Don't just lean on your looks; bring your personality to your shoot. If you have a great headshot photographer, they'll ask you the right questions and know how to speak to you to bring out each side of your personality and make sure your headshots represent you. They'll also choose locations and lighting that lend themselves to each vibe you're going for.
3) It's well-lit and professionally shot. You should be the main subject in your headshot, with your face and particularly eyes well-lit. Framing, positioning, lighting, color and focus are all parts of the equation. A professional headshot photographer will have all these aspects down pat. Be sure to book with someone who specializes in actor headshots, as there are many different kinds of photographers, but not everyone is a headshot photographer. Be sure to review your potential photographer's portfolio before booking a session with them.
All of these aspects of a great headshot are most dependent on two things:
- HIRE an excellent headshot photographer
- SHOW UP prepared, well-rested and emotionally open to show who you are
Remember, you get what you put in, financially and emotionally. Do your research. There are endless photographers out there, but only a handful of very talented headshot photographers.
I hope this helps and that we can all raise the bar for headshots in Atlanta!
Isn't Bethany a knockout!? Not only is she a beautifully talented actress, but one of my closest friends, which made it SO fun to shoot with her! We have a very similar Free People / bohemian / flower child style, so styling a shoot for her was kind of like doing one for myself. Years ago, during a day of exploring in North Georgia, I came across what I like to call the Buggy Graveyard. I did a photo session up there way back then but had always wanted to go back and Bethany was the perfect subject for that location.
Follow on Social...
Check back regularly to see what's new!